RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The nation’s gross domestic product fell into negative territory for the first three months of 2022, the stock market had another bad week, and talk is growing about a possible recession. But one might never know that based on the ongoing hiring boom across the Research Triangle region.
Of the major jobs boards tracked by WRAL TechWire for its weekly exclusive Jobs Report, all report more openings now than when the year began. Here’s a breakdown:
- Adzuna is up by 13,000 to more than 55,000 in Wake County
- Dice has increased by 9,000 to some 54,000
- Glassdoor is up 4,000 to 39,000
- Indeed openings have swelled to more than 34,000 – up 4,000
- And LinkedIn posts some 50,000 – up by 7,000
And that demand for talent may not subside any time soon. Technology jobs are booming in the state – from software developers and cybersecurity analysts to the IT workers who keep our computers running.
Brooks Raiford, president and CEO of the NC Technology Association, says economic worries aren’t a drag on hiring plans.
In a new survey, the overwhelming majority of companies, 94.3%, said their organizations still planned to hire additional staff in the coming months. But there are some concerns about the current state of the labor market, with 57% of respondents citing talent supply and more than half reporting concerns about workers choosing to retire as a part of the so-called “Great Resignation.”
Who says Triangle is one of nation’s top jobs markets? LinkedIn, that’s who
As Raiford noted, talent already is proving hard to find with a record of nearly 50,000 open tech sector jobs across the state. according to NC TECH’s most recent IT jobs report.
Parul Patel is one of those back in school and seeking a tech career after years as a stay-at-home mom.
“This is something I’ve wanted to do for awhile, and this is the right time for me now,” she said.
She’s one final exam away from graduating with a degree in cybersecurity from Wake Tech.
“The more I started taking classes, the more my passion grew and I just love it,” she said.
Raiford says the technology we’ve come to rely on during the pandemic is driving the surge in job openings.
“Those will continue to power, I think, many organizations, so the demand for talent will continue to be there,” he said.
The Triangle’s built-in talent pool from colleges and universities is attractive to tech companies.
But there’s still a shortage, so that sometimes presents a challenge in filling roles. It also presents upward pressure on wages – which is great for employees, but maybe not so great for employers.
Lauren Bamford, who connects employers with Wake Tech students looking for work, says the most in-demand jobs are in civil engineering, nursing and all types of tech.
“The market is looking great. If you are looking to get hired in tech, you certainly have a good shot,” she said.
That is promising for Patel as she gets ready to rejoin the workforce.
“The opportunities are out there, so I’m sure the right opportunity will come when it’s time,” she said.
In additional to tech savvy, employers are looking for “soft skills” and a willingness to learn, Bamford said.
“One of the most important qualities to have right now is to show you’re trainable. They don’t expect you to have all the answers right away. They really want to see that you enjoy learning, that you like to learn, that you’re really interested in this technical field.”
WRAL TechWire’s latest weekly count of local positions on national job boards reveals a modest decline from previous weeks’ totals. But employers are still posting thousands of new jobs every week—even more than they remove, as previously posted positions are filled or no longer listed for whatever reason.
For example: Indeed.com shows 2,159 fewer total jobs in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and Johnston County than it did seven days ago. However, employers still posted 6,198 new openings in those areas over the last seven days.
NC’s tech leaders remain bullish, 94% planning to hire despite inflation, recession talk
Similarly, LinkedIn shows 868 fewer positions in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill compared to last Sunday’s totals, even though over 13,000 new jobs were added in the last seven days. (See the full breakdown below.)
Today’s Jobs Report has a strong emphasis on tech talent, consistent with demand across North Carolina. Tech-specific positions abound at many of the Triangle’s leading employers, from banks to healthcare and insurance providers to biotech firms and startups.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Every Sunday, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday evening.
- ⇑ Wake County: 55,945 jobs (+584 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 36,652 (+775)
- ⇑ Durham County: 13,436 (+728)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 2,931 (-195)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,451 (-403)
- ⇓ Durham: 18,287 (-396)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 18,054 (-406)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 39,067 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-1,115)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,193 (-1,656), with 3,296 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇓ Durham: 11,123 (-200), with 1,828 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 5,030 (-274), with 890 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇓ Johnston County: 882 (-29), with 184 jobs posted in the last seven days
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 30,445 (-449), with 8,824 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Durham: 16,842 (-385), with 3,696 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,979 (-34), with 552 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,636 (+10), with 375 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 42,663 (-615)
- ⇓ Durham: 17,312 (-313)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 865 (-9)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 365 (-14)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (242 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (11,864 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (311 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday evening, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 93 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 43 in Durham and 29 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Six local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- 102 ICF Incorporated is looking to hire a transportation communications associate in Raleigh.
- Marsh McLennan Companies seeks a client relations and marketing manager in Raleigh.
- North Carolina Community Foundation posted an opening for a communications marketing intern in Raleigh.
- Verizon is growing its Cary office with three new openings: Product marketing manager, senior product marketing advisor, and senior marketing research and insights manager.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function.
As of Sunday evening, the site shows 276 jobs at 54 companies. Nearly two dozen job openings were posted in the last week:
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage seeks a remote head of sales operations.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech startup in Raleigh, is hiring a creative strategist and a social media manager.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive added a remote job opening for a ground services coordinator.
- Log management software provider LogDNA posted two remote openings for senior IT systems engineers.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci seeks an analytics platform product director.
- Furniture startup Nugget posted five positions in Butner: Social media video producer, manufacturing process engineer, maintenance technician, engineering technician and automation engineer.
- Durham digital consultancy Pathos Ethos is looking to hire a marketing manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius posted five job openings: Software engineer, SEO editor, quoting and underwriting associate (two openings – one remote and one in Durham), and junior case management associate.
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted two job openings in Durham (remote options available) for a senior Salesforce administrator and a UI/UX specialist.
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Teamwork for jobs: Longleaf Commitment grants, Community College efforts create career pipeline for students
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,505 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday evening.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America is hiring a financial center assistant manager, a wealth management banking specialist and a financial center assistant manager in Raleigh, as well as a relationship manager business owner specialist in Durham.
- Bee Downtown posted openings for a summer events intern, a director of finance and operations, and a beekeeper in Raleigh/Durham and other locations.
- Blue Cross NC posted several job openings in Durham, including senior finance project manager, operations team leader, individual sales support associate, healthcare consulting group lead medical director, group market offer strategic advisor, principal business systems analyst, compliance team leader, lead program manager, senior product manager of government markets, senior enterprise strategist, senior enterprise strategy advisor, senior ETL developer, Medicare principal strategic advisor, healthcare operations solutions director, senior strategic advisor of healthcare, clinical pharmacy team leader, senior talent advisor/recruiter, health economist, cost of care principal actuary, cost accounting manager, actuarial associate in pricing, actuarial analyst, cost of care actuarial associate and senior cost of care actuarial analyst.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is looking to hire a radio promotions assistant in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union is hiring an account manager in Holly Springs and an account manager, registered financial assistant and card services manager in Raleigh.
- El Centro Hispano posted two openings for a community health worker (remote) and a community specialist.
- Fidelity Investments posted many local job openings in Durham, including senior cloud AWS engineer, mobile developer (two openings), senior mobile developer, principal middleware DevOps engineer, senior middleware DevOps engineer, crypto financial service associate (two openings), senior software engineer (seven openings), senior cybersecurity tester/assessor, software engineering director, platform security operations director, early career customer service associate, principal software engineer (three openings), full-stack software engineering director, senior manager of digital asset services customer service, senior full-stack engineer (two openings), senior systems analyst (three openings), software engineer, Scrum master, principal database administrator, vulnerability analysis tester, MDM platforms squad leader, full-stack engineer, senior financial solutions associate, senior software engineer in test, enterprise leadership communications manager, workplace investing Scrum master, principal DevOps engineer, principal architect, architecture director, senior UI software developer, principal full-stack engineer, stock plan services product owner, stock plan services program manager and product owner. Fidelity is also looking to hire a VP/branch leader in Cary.
- Medicago seeks two quality assurance associates in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted several job openings in Durham, including housekeeping building environmental tech, technology support analyst, SSA temporary employee, vehicle equipment operator, assistant professor of art and design, building environmental tech, administrative support associate (two openings), facility maintenance technician – building trades (two openings) and facility maintenance technician – mechanical trades/plumbing.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Carrboro: Universal banker
- Durham: Teller/senior teller, relationship banker and teller/senior teller (bilingual Spanish preferred)
- Raleigh: Senior specialist in business and technology continuity management, senior cybersecurity engineer, senior fiduciary tax liaison, brokerage client service associate, senior Azure UI/API developer, senior Pega developer, software engineer, mainframe software engineer, senior credit risk rating product analyst, internal auditor, cybersecurity manager, CCB CRE analyst, cloud engineer, financial crimes senior investigator, assistant general counsel in marketing/technology, junior .NET software engineer, product owner, investment services financial advisor, business information lead consultant, and CCB learning and change management strategist
- William Peace University posted three openings in Raleigh: Director of counseling, vice president for administration and chief financial officer, and vice president for academic affairs.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Analytical chemistry research scientist and microbiology/product safety research scientist at Avazyme in Durham/RTP
- Beam Therapeutics posted several openings in Durham/RTP, including IT systems engineer, director/senior director of finance, manager/senior manager of maintenance, senior manufacturing specialist, quality control microbiology analyst, manufacturing engineer, manufacturing manager/senior manager, quality control project manager, manager of quality control analytical methods, quality control analytical methods analyst, quality validation specialist, senior analyst in microbiology quality control, quality control operations senior analyst, quality control analytical methods senior analyst, quality assurance operations specialist, manufacturing sciences and technology senior engineer, and senior manufacturing associate/lead.
- R&D lab associate at BioAesthetics Corporation in Durham
- Lab technician/chemist at ChemoGenics BioPharma in Durham
- Clinical research coordinator, GMP analytical technician and lab research analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Director/senior director of technical operations at Life Edit Therapeutics in Morrisville
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including quality operations laboratory specialist, lab automation specialist, quality control specialist (two openings), senior quality laboratory automation specialist, incoming quality control specialist, quality associate specialist, associate vaccine manufacturing operations technician, vaccine manufacturing operations technician, deviation management engineering specialist, technician, senior manufacturing automation specialist, purification lead operations technician, senior operations technician, associate vaccine process support laboratory specialist, senior building automation system specialist, senior specialist of lab quality control, safety programs director, lead instrumentation technician, senior study manager, site sourcing specialist and senior scientist in global vaccines regulatory CMC.
- Application development engineer at NIRSense in Raleigh
- Process engineer in non-viral gene delivery at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Seqirus posted several openings in Holly Springs, including calibration technician, molecular analytics scientist, scientist (three openings), senior R&D material disposition specialist and R&D frontline QA specialist. It also posted some military internship positions as part of NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program, including calibration technician intern, warehouse operations intern and manufacturing associate intern.
- Protein biochemistry research associate at UNC Chapel Hill
- Temporary associate/research technician in cell production at United Therapeutics in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
No new positions were added to the site last week, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s openings:
- IT consulting firm 360 Cloud Solutions posted three job openings in Raleigh: Senior FP&A consultant, senior NetSuite consultant in managed services and senior NetSuite consultant in manufacturing.
- Raleigh-based Rownd, a provider of IT and data privacy services, posted a remote job listing for an experienced front-end software engineer.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,150 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
- University of North Carolina
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 174 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday evening. Eleven new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, is hiring a scientific project manager and a bioanalytical department manager.
- Raleigh-based OrbitalRX, a software platform that helps pharmacists manage drug shortages, is looking to hire a product manager.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo posted several openings, including senior manager of customer lifecycle, key enterprise account executive (remote), SEO specialist, executive assistant, senior sales engineer, sales operations manager and Salesforce developer.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted an opening for a director/ePRO market owner in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday evening, the site shows 3,133 jobs at 100 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bank of America (Raleigh and Durham)
- Bee Downtown (Raleigh/Durham)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Code the Dream (Durham)
- Crossrope (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Durham)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Nugget (Butner)
- OrbitalRX (Raleigh)
- Pathos Ethos (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 11,212 active openings as of Sunday evening. Of those, 9,041 are technology jobs, 1,246 are advanced manufacturing positions, 318 are in cleantech and 607 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from April 26):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday evening:
- Lenovo: 310 jobs in Morrisville
- SAS: 143 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 40 openings in Raleigh; 58 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 37 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: 26 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 180 jobs in Durham listed on NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 87 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, business analytics, finance, marketing, network engineering, operations and more. See the full list of openings here.
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, is hiring for several positions:
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour (Recurring Event): Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
2022 NC State Alumni Career Fair: May 10, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @Reynolds Coliseum
The Alumni Career Fair is a recruiting event for recent and experienced alumni at NC State and surrounding institutions. More than 80 employers have signed up to attend as of May 1.
Raleigh Job Fair: May 12, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. @DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh
This three-hour job fair will facilitate interactions between local employers and job seekers across a range of sectors, from banking to consumer products to telecommunications and beyond.
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: May 25, 10-10:45 a.m. (online)
Ahead of NC TECH’s Summer Virtual Tech Job Expo on June 8, employers and job seekers are invited to receive a tour of the Premier Virtual event platform and learn how to submit job openings, resumes and more information, and communicate with candidates/employers.
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo: June 8, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (online)
NC TECH’s Job Expo allows job seekers and employers to connect live via chat and video. Employers will host virtual booths describing employee benefits/perks, job vacancies and more. While the event mainly focuses on candidates seeking tech-related jobs/careers and internships, many employers have openings in non-technical roles such as sales/marketing, finance and customer support.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: